In the mid-nineteenth century Reverend Nathaniel E. Thayer’s wealthy sons constructed a palatial Victorian manse complete with mansard roofs and the largest formal hall and staircase in New England. In the 1880’s the mansion was again redone and extended. In 1902 architect Ogden Codman, the leading American Designer in the Beaux Arts Style, completed the present house. The house is one of the high points of the American architectural style known as the Georgian Revival. Its interiors, especially the Louis XVI elements, are some of the finest of its age found anywhere in the world. It is impressive to note that local artisans did the work. Atlantic Union College acquired the building in 1942. Over the years it served as an administration building, library, and men’s dormitory.
In its new life as the Thayer Performing Arts Center, much of the charm of its past is reappearing. Since 1972, thousands of students have found this historic site an inspiring place to study the music of the masters. Our former TPAC students hold faculty and performing positions in prestigious conservatories, chamber ensembles, and orchestras, including New England Conservatory of Music, Longy School of Music, Mount Royal University, Los Angeles Philharmonic, San Francisco Opera Orchestra, and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, to name a few.TPAC’s multi-cultural faculty are committed to providing expert instruction and outstanding performance opportunities in a Christian environment. Our mission extends beyond this place as we seek to enrich our community through music, onestudent at a time. The Thayer Performing Arts Center is indeed a community music school in the truest sense, offering music of many genres to musicians of all ages, right here in our own backyard.